Monday, January 09, 2006

Stream and Ice Photos 11 & 12

I think one of the most interesting and challenging aspects of this terrain base was the successful imagineering of riffles and receding ice along the stream's edge.

It took several weeks of experimentation with various acrylic gels to find the right one to fashion riffles in the water. In the end, blending Liquetex and Woodland Scenics gels proved to be the right combination.

Ice . . . well, I'll tell you that it wax but the rest of the technique is proprietary for now.

Future brand acrylic floor finish was used as a final glaze coat to blend the Envirotex water base with the riffle areas . . . it took several thin coats and some patience, but the result speaks for itself.

I don't know that there was any one single terrain base that I've ever made that turned out as good as this one nor one that I had as much fun working on. The base was sold on eBay about 2 years ago . . . looking back, it's one I wish I would have kept.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home